Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Respect is what it boils down to...

I have to write this follow up to my last blog. Last night I received a phone call from a high school parent who was looking to book my show. It seems this school had hired hypnotists (that's plural) in the past and was very uneasy with the show some of these hypnotists presented. The complaint was the show was not appropriate for high school students. She asked if my show was any different.

I asked her to describe the routines the adults didn't care for and if the students found it offensive as well. She said the students thought the routines were very funny but the teachers and chaperons didn't. She singled out a few specifics: one routine had a male volunteer give birth. He had his legs up in the air and the other volunteers were cheering him on to 'push' and 'breathe'. The adults thought about the epidemic of teenage pregnancy and thought this was entirely wrong. Another routine, used in the guise of prevention, had the volunteers drink imaginary beer and become quite drunk. The hypnotist said this was to demonstrate what an idiot looks like with intoxicated and you should not do this.

After hearing these and a couple other stories, I said that sometimes it is hard to imagine what will happen during a show. Yes I did say that my show guarantees not to embarrass, humiliate or degrade any volunteer. Those 3 words I use extensively in my advertising. I also said in my 22 years of performing I have always kept my promise. She said that is what "they all say". I told her I was very proud of my reputation and she could call any past client and ask for herself. I suggested she do a google search for Steve Wronker and look at past reviews. I also suggested to search YouTube and look at the videos. This is a great way to see what you might get as far as routines go from all entertainers you might want to hire.

Most hypnotists are tried and true professionals. But there in an influx of younger or inexperienced hypnotists out there. Although they are not all to be lumped into the same category, most just don't have the knowledge to understand what is expected of them from the client. They do the show for themselves, not the client. Do you homework. If a client wants an entertainer that performs adult shows (R & X-rated or suggestive material) than that is their decision to make. If you want a performer who who can distinguish when and where to interject adult material, then you should hire that one. Now I know I am going to sound egotistical but if you want a hypnotist that has never done any show but a clean show you should hire me. Yes there are others out there that fit this bill as well, but I want you to hire me not them.

Tonight I am performing at a local university. They have had many hypnotists in the past. One just a few weeks ago. But I was hired to perform a clean show. Not everyone wants to see an 'R' rated show, some just want to have good time, an old fashioned fun filled evening. I know that's exactly what they are going to get. No embarrassment... no humiliation... no degradation. And I bet I get a lot of volunteers who would never dream of participating in those other shows.

Remember, as the client, you dictate what you want out of the performer and the hypnotist should always respect your wishes. Anyway that's all for now. I hope I have the opportunity to entertain you soon.

Still ranting on... sincerely
Steve

No comments:

Post a Comment