Monday, March 9, 2009

And here they are... the stars of your show !

Boy was this a busy weekend for me. 5 shows. A really fun show Friday night that had all 17 volunteers remain hypnotized throughout the show. There are some photos on my web site. I had 2 Sweet-16 parties and they are always a blast to do. But the one I really got into was for the Water-Oak VFW. These type of shows are usually a hit or miss but this was a bull's eye. Bob and everyone at the VFW did a great job in getting people to this show. This was a fundraiser to help restore the VFW for the returning American Soldiers from Iraq. Well done Bob! Although the show itself was a lot of fun it was what happened after the show that I will always remember.
I was approached by one of the audience members after the show who, as we spoke about the show, gave me the ultimate compliment. She said she had always enjoyed watching hypnotism shows and went on to name a few other hypnotists that she had seen (all of which I know or know of). She had said she had seen me several times at a local campground and what made me stand out over all the others was that I was entertaining.

She went on to say that most hypnotic routines are very funny, some more so than others, but it is what goes on from the hypnotist between the routines that distinguishes one hypnotist from another. She said most hypnotists try and be funny but at the expense of the volunteers and/or the audience. Also, she went on, that a lot of the hypnotist believe they are the stars of the show. They take the applause for how the volunteers followed the suggestions. She felt the true stars are the volunteers, not the hypnotist. I could not agree more. If you have seen my show, you know the way I acknowledge the volunteers at the very end. Anyway, to sum up her humbling compliment, she finished by saying she enjoyed the way I treated the volunteers and the audience; with respect. And then she made me laugh by saying that I was 'a really funny guy.' I hope to see her at many of my upcoming shows. Thanks for the kind words.

On my way home from the show I started thinking about what she had said. I have heard these compliments before, in fact many times before. It made me think about my philosophy about my performances. I have always felt that since there are so many other hypnotists available (plus many other performers in other fields), I had to seperate myself from the rest. The basic concept of a hypnosis show is the same no matter who the hypnotist; we get volunteers to do silly things (or R-rated things if that is what the client wants).

So when I starting doing these shows 22 years ago, I decided to have a few ground rules for myself. I want to give a great show at a competitive price, and then give them a little more. I decided that since I come from a background as a family-friendly magician, that my hypnosis shows would be family-friendly as well even if the audience is entirely adults. I believe most people would like to experience hypnosis but have the fear of embarassment or in some cases total humiliation. I know there is a place for adult-humored shows and I have no problem with that. But I have always wanted the people that come to my shows to have no trepidation about volunteering for my show. So I have promised never to embarass, humiliate or degrade any volunteer. My show has been and always will be one you can count on to be fun without the typical misconceptions about a hypnosis show, whether you want to watch the show or be the show.

So I want to end this rant by again saying thanks for the compliment and please remember that at the end of my show I want you applaud really load because...
... here they are, the STARS of YOUR show !







please comment about my rant. What are your feelings?
until next week.. We'll do this again ! Steve


No comments:

Post a Comment