Monday, March 23, 2009

I haven't had this much fun in a long time!

After each performance I usually receive a lot of comments about the show from those that attended or volunteered. Comments are left on my web site guestbook, my facebook page or directly with the photographs that were taken during the show. I also have people come up to me after the show to say how much they enjoyed it. The other night was no different... except....

I was packing up my sound equipment after the show and these 4 guys came up on stage. They all reached out to shake my hand and said the typical "great show!" Except for one of them. He held my hand just a little bit longer than most guys would do while shaking hands. He looked me directly in my eyes and said, "I haven't had this much fun in a long time!" Wow! I usually never get this kind of statement from a guy and he had such convictions in his voice. This made me feel good knowing he definitely did not look the type to put his true feelings on the line.

We all talked about their favorite moments from the show and all 4 said they would like to try to volunteer next year. It was a wonderful conversation. They offered to help me pack up and load the equipment into my car. All this is not what I expected from this group. I guess the old saying is true; you can't judge a book by its cover. They made my night.

Anyway, I had three shows this past weekend, a high school fundraiser, a Catholic school lock-in, and a fun night for a middle school PTA (where entire families were invited to attend). It always amazes me that in these shows, I say the same suggestions during the show but get such different interpretations some of the time. And after all, the volunteers are always different so I should expect such.

Case in point: One of the routines I enjoy is when the volunteers don't remember a particular number. (See my video of this special routine on my web site). They count their fingers and end up counting eleven fingers. The look on their faces are always priceless. Then they count again, but this time they have 12 fingers. In my show last Thursday night, I had one of the volunteers stand up next to me and count her fingers. She got the same results, first 11 then 12. Yes she was dumbstruck but then boldly claimed she had "a friend with only seven fingers" The laughter from the audience was deafening. And she said this with such a straight face. I love when things like this happen. Not planned by any means but purely ad-libbed on the part of the volunteers.

So I agree with the sentiment said at the beginning; I haven't had this much fun in a long time! Anyway, not since my last show. I can't wait for my next one.

I hope I have the pleasure to entertain you soon

Steve

PS... And to Alan Brackett, the newspaper photographer at my Thursday show, many thanks for your kind words after the show. I never compare myself to other entertainers as we all are different but what you said to me was very much appreciated. Very much!

Here are a few photos from the last weeks' shows.




No comments:

Post a Comment